This is the first post in the ApplicantStack series: Hiring Your Perfect Next Employee: The Ultimate Guide.
We’ll show you how to create and manage job descriptions with ApplicantStack Recruit.
Before we continue, let’s review where we are in the series:
- Create a Job Description
- Prescreening Preparation
- Post Job to Job Boards
- Candidate Screening
- Schedule Interviews
- Collecting Team Feedback
- Making Your Selection
- Extending The Job Offer
- Hiring Your Perfect Employee
How do you create a job description with ApplicantStack Recruit?
Before we answer that, let’s define a job description. So we know exactly what we’re talking about.
What is a job description?
A job description is a formal listing of the specific responsibilities and important details about an employment position.
A good job description will:
- Define the job responsibilities
- Reduce the applicant pool to those who qualify
- Introduce the applicant to the company and its culture
Creating a job description is the first step in the hiring process. It’s critical to get it right. The job description is your first opportunity to attract qualified candidates.
It’s also the first step in your filtering process. A good job description will filter out applicants who aren’t qualified. It should also discourage candidates who aren’t a good cultural fit. That way, you won’t waste any time on unqualified applicants. And poor-fit job seekers won’t waste time applying.
How to Write a Job Description
First, define the basic information about the position. This is easy: company name, job location, and job title.
Next, identify the specific skills and qualifications the position requires.
Describing job skills isn’t always straightforward. You can get ideas by searching the web for examples. LinkedIn, JuJu and CareerBuilder are all good places to see how other companies are doing it.
Keep it simple and to the point. Include enough detail to attract a good applicant pool. Make sure the description fits your company personality.
Here are the elements:
- Job location
- Job title
- List of job responsibilities
- List of candidate requirements
- List of desired candidate credentials
- Statement about company and benefits
- EEOC statement
Avoid acronyms, jargon, and overly-creative job titles. Be clear and concise. Don’t make it difficult for applicants to know if they want to apply. You might call your website manager a Digital Alchemist. Don’t do it in a job description.
Get Feedback From Every Member of Your Hiring Team
Get team input before you write your first draft. Talk to the hiring manager (if it’s not you), team lead, and some competent employees with the same (or similar) job. Solicit continuing feedback as you refine your job description. This is important. Be thorough at this stage and it will save you time later.
How to Create a Job Description with ApplicantStack Recruit
In ApplicantStack, you can start from a blank form or use the basic template. Using the template makes it easier when you want to create similar jobs.
Enter The Job Specifics
First, you open the jobs section from the main dashboard.
It looks like this:
Enter all of your information in the corresponding fields.
If you start from the blank form, it will open the ApplicantStack text editor. The text editor has all the necessary functions and is easy to use.
When creating job descriptions, use the same basic layout for all of them. You will have a consistent brand across all postings and marketing channels.
Select the Job Owner and Hiring Manager
When you’ve entered your job description, select the job owner and hiring manager. ApplicantStack lets all members of your hiring team collaborate efficiently. By assigning jobs, everyone stays organized. Your team won’t waste time duplicating work.
Store Your Job Description
Once you have your job description ready, store it in a place that will be useful. With ApplicantStack you can create and store your growing library of job descriptions. Now they’ll be on-hand whenever you need them. You will never waste time searching for a job description you wrote last year.
In this video, you can see how easy it is to create a job description in ApplicantStack Recruit.
Let’s review the benefits of creating job descriptions in ApplicantStack Recruit:
- Templates save time when creating and updating job descriptions
- You can maintain a consistent layout for all job descriptions
- Store all job descriptions in a central location
- Access your job descriptions from any connected device
- Quickly search existing descriptions regardless of the size of your job description database
- Your hiring team can easily collaborate in the system
ApplicantStack Recruit manages all phases of the hiring process. Creating a good job description helps you hire your perfect next employee.
The Most Advanced Applicant Tracking Technology
With ApplicantStack Recruit, you can incorporate the best hiring practices with the most advanced applicant tracking technology:
- Hire quality employees faster
- Create templates for job descriptions, emails, applications, pre-screening questionnaires
- Manage multiple job postings
- Post to multiple job boards
- Create custom hiring workflows
- Assign users to tasks
- Intelligent screening improves the quality of new hires
- Track hiring KPIs
- Create a pool of passive applicants
- Maintain compliance with hiring laws
Our next post in the series will show you how to do pre-screener preparation.
Stay tuned! Our next ultimate how-to guide will show you how to onboard your perfect next employee with our integrated onboarding system: ApplicantStack Onboard.
Take a look at this entire series as an infographic!
- Why 2021 Hiring is Hopeless Without an Applicant Tracking System - November 20, 2020
- Why Structured Interviews are Critical [Win at Hiring in 2021] - November 10, 2020
- Root Out These 7 Insidious Hiring Biases to Increase Workforce Diversity - July 2, 2020