There isn’t an applicant tracking system out there that doesn’t purport to be the ‘best recruitment software’ in the business. And a quick Google search reveals a plethora of top ten lists of the best recruitment software available.
But what really makes one software stand out from any other? Once you’ve analyzed which HR recruitment software fit your needs, how can you cull your list down to the best recruitment software bar none? Beyond the bells, whistles, and add-ons, there’s one thing that sets the best software apart.
It’s All About Support
Almost every software company provides some form of technical support for its product. But what does that really mean? Tech support can cover anything from:
- A huge repository of support documentation and help pages
- An email form with a response turnaround of 48-72 hours
- Instant messaging with customer service reps – or with bots
- A downloadable product manual
- A FAQ page
- Discussion boards for users to hash out problems among themselves
Knowing what a vendor means when it says it “provides technical support” can be the difference between a successful and unsuccessful implementation.
Here’s the Catch…
You don’t always know how good (or bad) the tech support is until you need to use it. For example, two companies might both describe their technical support teams as “passionate experts” who are “highly responsive.” Both conjure the image of dedicated representatives standing by to answer every query.
At the first company, you’ve got phone support…but only if you press the right buttons to be directed to the correct department. There, you can leave a message that may or may not reach anyone who can help.
The second company looks exactly the same as the first. But in this case, you’ve got a dedicated account manager you can call directly. He can pull up your account to answer specific questions and refer back to your history. There’s a massive database of support documents covering every imaginable question. And videos accompany most of these help pages, so you can see exactly what you should be doing to fix your problem.
Both companies call it “technical support” – but one is far more helpful than the other!
Questions to Ask
When you’re looking for the best recruitment software vendor, don’t be afraid to ask questions. Here are some criteria to consider:
- If you have a question, are you able to speak with someone who is capable of answering? Many companies say they offer live phone support, but your call is sent to a call center. There, the representative will pass your query along to a technical expert to answer at some point. This isn’t really “live” support.
- Are there other ways to get help? Can you reach out through email? If so, when can you expect a response?
- Can you help yourself? Browse through the help pages the potential vendor offers. Do they seem to cover lots of different scenarios, or just the basics? It’s far faster to find the answer on your own than to wait for someone to call you back!
- Will you have one account manager whom you can work with consistently, or do you need to call general support for every issue?
- Will the support team answer specific questions about your account configuration, or just provide general guidance and links to online help articles?
- How quickly are you able to get an answer to a question? Companies often will provide a response time estimate, but the only way to really know is to try it. The best recruitment software offers free trials so you can see what you’re buying. Use this opportunity to test out customer support.
- What kind of additional help is available beyond product support? You may need assistance configuring your system, customizing features or reports, or training your staff. Is the vendor willing to provide that for an additional fee?
Go beyond the traditional questions about support hours and options so you can figure out exactly what you’re getting with technical support. It’s one of the most important ways to evaluate a vendor, and you can’t rely on a website to give you an accurate impression. Want to know more about what stellar customer service looks like? Contact our team at ApplicantStack! Our customers are all assigned account managers, who are available as needed. We know that customer service sets teams apart. See how we excel.
- Video Interviewing Helps Recruiters Hire Remotely While Social Distancing - March 26, 2020
- How Manager Feedback and Interview Evaluations Improve Hiring in 2020 - February 17, 2020
- The Ultimate Guide to Onboarding Your Next Employee - August 29, 2019