What is video interview software?
Video interview software allows hiring managers to conduct video interviewing online. Video interviewing is the practice of conducting a remote job interview. Video interviews are conducted over the internet and allow businesses to interview candidates in locations that are more convenient for each party.
Some companies use general-purpose software like Zoom and GotToMeeting to conduct interviews. However, video interview software is designed specifically for job interviews.
Benefits of Video Interviewing
- Recruiters can conduct interviews using web cameras or similar devices, allowing the interviewer to be in one location and the job candidate in another.
- Applicants can talk to hiring managers while self-isolating due to COVID-19
- Hiring teams can record video interviews for remote collaboration
- Applicants can record video interviews at their convenience and send them to the hiring manager, who can watch the interview at his/her convenience.
- Candidates who are currently employed can schedule an interview more easily and might not have to miss work.
- Companies that use video interviews strengthen their employer brand, creating a better applicant experience and demonstrating their commitment to cutting-edge technology and hiring practices
How does video interviewing software work?
Hiring managers looking to invest in video interviewing software have two options: one-way recorded interviews or two-way live interviews. Some programs offer both capabilities.
One-Way Video Interviewing
Employers using one-way video interview software send applicants a list of questions and topics to prepare for before an interview. Then they have the opportunity to record responses on their own time and send the video back to the employer. This is a simple and efficient way to conduct interviews.
- Create text or video based questions
- Restrict think time
- Control the number of takes allowed
- Limit max answer length
The one-way video technology gives applicants flexibility in scheduling the interview while holding them accountable for submitting a professional, well thought out interview. They do not have to come into an office, but they do have to set up a video recording of themselves.
Two-Way Video Interviewing
Two-way live video interview software allows hiring managers to conduct face-to-face interviews with remote candidates. Scheduling a two-way video interview requires the hiring manager to contact the applicant and agree on a time that works for both parties. Candidates scheduled for a two-way video interview prepare as they would for traditional interviews by compiling a resume, analyzing their strengths and weaknesses, and coming up with answers for possible questions.
Here are some tips for hiring teams:
- Record full-length interviews
- Brand your interviews
- Conduct interviews directly in your web browser
- Receive concierge support
Why should small business hiring teams use video interview software?
There are many advantages to using video interviewing platforms. Some of the advantages hiring managers gain when they switch to video interviewing include:
- It’s cost effective
- Scheduling a virtual meeting is more convenient and can take place outside of normal business hours
- Allows for consistent interview questions
- Easy to track performance and compare applicants
- Reveals how candidates handle technology
- Helps hiring mangers find employees they wouldn’t have found otherwise
Video interviewing technology can streamline the recruitment process by saving time, energy and money. It allows hiring managers with packed schedules to find the right time for an interview—even if it’s after work hours—and gives applicants the convenience of interviewing from their own home (or wherever they feel most comfortable).
ATS Video Interview Integrations
Many applicant tracking systems (ATS) integrate with video interviewing software and services.
- 15 Advantages of Video Interviews You Didn’t Know About, Spark Hire
- How to Conduct a Successful Video Interview, ZipRecruiter
- How Manager Feedback and Interview Evaluations Improve Hiring in 2020
- Post-Pandemic Business Recovery Depends on HR First Responders
- Why Structured Interviews are Critical [Win at Hiring in 2021]